A Christmas Carol- meet cast member Brittany Huffman!


What do you find appealing about your character and this show? I play three different characters in the show and I like that I get to be a part of all the different times in Scrooge’s journey.  First as Mrs Fezziwig, helping to create that wonderful Christmas party atmosphere in his younger days; then as Mary (Fred’s wife), creating another homey Christmas time memory, that helps him realize there’s more to joy than just having money; and then as Mrs. Pipchin, helping to illuminate the lack of empathy people have for him.



What do you want the audience to experience/take away from this show? How best to celebrate the holiday in their heart. We see different holiday celebrations throughout the show, some large, some small, some with many friends, and some with just intimate families. However you best keep Christmas in your heart is the best way to keep it.



How does this show differ from other shows you have worked on? Well, it’s my first show in Virginia (I moved to the area in April!) But, for me, it feels like a reintroduction to theatre.  I took a break back home in Pittsburgh to get a masters degree and focus on some other community activities and hadn’t rejoined a theatre troupe yet.  Working on this show has been a great reminder for me how much I loved acting and being involved in theatre.



How long have you been acting and what made you get involved in theatre? If we’re talking true stage roles, my first one stage role was in 6th grade, when the local high school needed elementary students to play the chorus of orphans in “Oliver.” But if you ask my parents, I’ve been a performer since I was a toddler - I’m sure my mom has some semi-embarrassing home movies of me dancing and singing along to some Disney tapes.



How did you get involved with LTA? I signed up to start volunteering in the box office this past summer - I knew I was going to be traveling for work a lot during the spring and fall, so it was an easy way to get into involved with the theatre that didn’t require long-term planning.



What advice would you give others who are interested in working in theatre? Get involved where ever you can.  No volunteer role is too small in theatre - every volunteer plays a role in putting a show together and it doesn’t work unless all those roles are filled.  Also, go see as many shows as you can at different places - you’ll learn something about the craft from every show you see.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTA kicks off 2023/2024 season with Freaky Friday

The Odd Couple (Female Version) - meet cast member Natalie Fox

The Winners of LTA's 46th Annual One-Act Playwriting Competition