August: Osage County- meet producer Lloyd Bittinger!





Tell us a little bit about yourself. For the past 23 years I have been a member of The Little Theatre of Alexandria serving in numerous capacities, including that of governor, front-of-house and president. I have been the producer or co-producer on three previous occasions for A Christmas Carol and acted in the LTA production of The Visit. I am an active member of the LTA lighting crew and often run the follow spot when one is used in a production. I also frequently work in the box office and as an usher or house manager. In real life I am a retired healthcare consultant and radiology administrator.

How does the show differ from other shows you have worked on? During my time at LTA I have worked on a very large number of shows. What makes August: Osage County different is that it is very intense and deals with difficult issues related to addiction and suicide and how that affects family members as they relate to each other being again pulled together to deal with the tragedy. It is not the kind of show that you will leave humming a Broadway tune.

     What made you get involved in theatre? How did you get involved with LTA? My involvement in theatre goes all the way back to grammar school. I have never NOT been involved in theatre. The suspension of reality and imagination associated with theatre has always appealed to me as a creative process.
When I first moved to Alexandria, from Fredericksburg, twenty some years ago I met some friends and was involved with Dominion Stage. But I lived very close to LTA so walked up the street one day, came in and said that I wanted to volunteer. I started as an usher and house manager.

     What advice would you give others who are interested in working in theatre? There are so many facets associated with working in the theatre, all the way from front of house to backstage, and everything in between. My advice is not to over commit, but to focus on your areas of interest and build on them as you grow, taking one step at a time, and always doing the best you can do in each area.

     What do you want the audience to experience/take away from this show? August: Osage County is a unique kind of show in that the audience will be exposed to issues and/or situations probably never seen on stage before. The script is very mature and in some ways shocking. You should come away from this show having felt intense emotional responses to the characters and situations the playwright introduced to you.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTA kicks off 2023/2024 season with Freaky Friday

The Odd Couple (Female Version) - meet cast member Natalie Fox