August: Osage County-- Meet cast member Tom Flatt!


Tom Flatt (Charlie Aiken):
What do you find appealing about your character and this show? There are several things that draw me to audition for a show: a great piece of writing, a challenging character who I want to live with for a spell, and a great creative team and cast. This show has all that in spades. August: Osage County is a beautifully written show that is heartbreaking, hilarious, and at times shocking, which is the best kind of theater. My character reminds me of my relatives on my father’s side, so I connect deeply with him. He also has some of the funniest lines in the show, which makes him a hoot to play. Our director has assembled a stellar production team (many of whom I’ve worked with in the past) and an outstanding ensemble (none of whom I’ve worked with previously, which is an added bonus – love making new, talented friends). I’m incredibly excited to share this piece with audiences.

What have you learned about yourself in playing the role of Charlie Aiken? Whenever I do a show, I choose very carefully because I know it’s going to work on me like therapy, it’s going to open things up and make me explore aspects of my life, and make me dig deep and confront things with honesty and compassion. This experience has been no different. In fact, it may be taking me deeper than most. Luckily Charlie is a nice person, so that makes it easier to confront some dark things.

What do you want the audience to experience/take away from this show? Well, this play is a feast, so I hope they go away sated, excited, deeply moved, and talking! I want them to laugh, cry, and recognize something of themselves in this family’s struggles. I want to take them on a wild ride, so hold on!

How does this show differ from other shows you have worked on? I love ensemble shows and ones that would be labeled “dramadies” (dramas with a lot of comedy). This play kind of ups the ante on that style. I think of it as a tragedy played as a comedy, which makes it unique and challenging.

How long have you been acting and what made you get involved in theatre? How did you get involved with LTA? I’ve been performing since I was a kid, putting on shows in the basement. When I moved to this area, I had been playing with rock bands and in cabarets, but I didn’t know any local musicians, so I auditioned for a local theater group, just to feed that part of myself. The rest is history. I’ve been involved with LTA off and on for nearly 20 years and have loved every show I’ve been lucky enough to be cast in there.

What advice would you give others who are interested in working in theatre? Just do it. Theater is a collaborative art, so there are many ways to contribute your talents. Audition, volunteer, learn things, take small parts, work backstage, usher, anything. Just do it. Just be part of the process of creating. You’ll build not only a body of work, but a new crazy family. It’s about the people as much as the art.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTA kicks off 2023/2024 season with Freaky Friday

The Odd Couple (Female Version) - meet cast member Natalie Fox

The Winners of LTA's 46th Annual One-Act Playwriting Competition