To Kill a Mockingbird - meet cast member Tameka Taylor

Meet Tameka Taylor who is part of the Courtroom Ensemble in LTA's To Kill a Mockingbird.

What were some of the challenges you faced in working on this piece?
I am an African-American women who is jaded by the treatment of black people in the South during this time and I don’t have much trust in our judiciary system for a fair trial. My challenges include some of the language that is used, and having to face the harsh reality that this piece of work reflects.

What do you hope the audience takes away from this show?
I would like the audience to be mindful of how racism infects of our society. And to think of everyone as an individual.

How does this show differ from other shows you have worked on?
I've mostly acted as a character in Shakespeare plays.

How long have you been acting?  How did you get involved with LTA?
I went to school for acting in college, but I ended up pursuing something else. In 2014, I decided to jump back into my passion. LTA is a respected local theater and I subscribed to their emails.

What advice would you give others who want to get involved in theater?
I would say that if you feel that is your dream, you should start studying plays and go for it – and be ready for some hard work.

What have you learned about yourself in playing this role?
Not having a speaking role, I’ve actually learned more about acting by being more in the moment and really connecting with those that are speaking.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTA kicks off 2023/2024 season with Freaky Friday

The Odd Couple (Female Version) - meet cast member Natalie Fox