To Kill a Mockingbird - meet cast member Olivia McMahon

Meet Olivia McMahon (age 10) playing Scout in LTA's To Kill a Mockingbird.

Tell us a little bit about your character.
Scout is open-minded and curious. She is loving but a bit stubborn and opinionated. She is also a bit of a tom boy. Overall, she is curious because she asks a lot of questions, wonders about everything and is rarely content.

What were some of the challenges you faced in working on this piece?
It is very difficult for me to get used to the language, wording and accent that they used in 1935 Maycomb, Alabama. It is also hard on me as a person to say bad words because of how hurtful they can be.

What do you hope the audience takes away from this show?
I hope the audience learns from this play to defend the innocent, put yourself in other people’s position, don’t judge people from their looks. And also to take care of each other.

How long have you been acting?
This is my first lead role in community theater. The director, Frank Pasqualino, is very patient with kids. I guess he knows everyone screws up once in a while. This is also the first play I have been in where I am not singing.

What advice would you give others who want to get involved in theater?
Don’t give up when you hear “no.” Be yourself, be positive. Find something that motivates you and remember that nerves are excitement!

What have you learned about yourself while playing the role of Scout?
I have learned that I like to act as much as I like to sing. Like Scout, I am never content. I am always looking for new things and new people to discover.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTA kicks off 2023/2024 season with Freaky Friday

The Odd Couple (Female Version) - meet cast member Natalie Fox

The Winners of LTA's 46th Annual One-Act Playwriting Competition