Meet Preston Grover (Billy Cane) from LTA's Bright Star

What do you enjoy most about your role?
So far, my favorite part about my role has been my scenes with Maura (Alice). As I write this, we’re not yet rehearsing on the stage, but even in a classroom with a script in her hand she’s already such a force. I really enjoy the relationship between our characters and I’m excited to continue to explore that with her and to get these scenes under the lights!

What have you learned from working on this production?
I’ve learned how much I’ve missed being a part of a theatre community. After almost two years, this production has been such a breath of fresh air in my life, and I can’t express enough how thankful I am for everyone that’s worked so hard to make it happen.

How long have you been acting and what made you get involved in theatre?

My first production was Ire David Wood III’s A Christmas Carol (an annual production in Raleigh, NC that’s still running!) when I was six years old. I liked to sing as a kid, so a family friend recommended to my mom that I audition. Auditions were held on the stage in front of everyone and my mom was terrified, but I went up and sang Puff the Magic Dragon without a care in the world and never looked back.

What advice would you give others who are interested in working in theatre (or, specifically working on musicals)?
I want more young people to at least be aware that you don’t have to move to New York City after you graduate and wait tables until you get your “big break” to be successful in theatre. Even if you’re set on being onstage there’s so much great work being done all over the country and even the world. I was fortunate enough to work and support myself as a professional actor/singer for six years doing regional theatre and performing on cruise ships and in theme parks, and I’ve seen so many friends find different ways to be successful in the industry. Also, if you’re not sure where to start, ask your drama teacher or community theatre director (or anyone else you can find) for help! If they can’t help you themselves, I promise they have connections to people currently working in the industry that would be more than happy to talk to you and share what they’ve learned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTA kicks off 2023/2024 season with Freaky Friday

The Odd Couple (Female Version) - meet cast member Natalie Fox

The Winners of LTA's 46th Annual One-Act Playwriting Competition