Meet Maura Lacy from LTA's Bright Star

 

Tell us a little about yourself.
I'm originally from Frederick, Maryland, and after moving around a bit for various acting jobs, I landed in Northern Virginia for the last 8 years. I've had the pleasure of working in professional theatres in Maryland, Georgia and Tennessee, most notably in the world premiere musical, The Miracle, as well as being a backup dancer for Weird Al Yankovic's Straight Outta Lynwood tour. I took a break from acting to pursue a "real" job, then found myself kinda empty without it, so I started acting again in the community about 4 years ago, and I hope to work professionally again soon.

Why did you audition for Bright Star?

A friend introduced me to Bright Star a couple years ago and said I'd be perfect for it. I fell in love with the story and the music, and wept upon watching it. I felt so connected to Alice (the role I'm getting to play), and her story just resonated with me, and knew I had to play this role at some point in my career. So when LTA announced their auditions, I jumped at the chance and went for it. I'm still pinching myself that I get to play this role and tell this story!

What do you enjoy most about your role?

Is "everything" an acceptable answer? This role kinda has it all, and it's a big challenge, which I love. The show is set in the 1940's with flashbacks to the 1920's, so you get to see the older and younger versions of this character. I get to play a feisty and flirty teen one minute, and a quick-witted, no-nonsense adult the next. I have these fun, sassy and carefree scenes and songs as young Alice, then I have to switch and button it up the next scene. Alice goes through a lot on her journey, and it gives me the opportunity to show a huge range of emotions and tap into some really meaty acting moments.

What have you learned from working on this production?

I used to only sing as a soprano/in my head voice, but working on this music has brought in the lower half of my register and required a whole new skillset vocally. Thanks to the help of several teachers, I'm singing in ways I never thought I could. It's been a wonderful challenge, and one that I don't know I would have pursued had I not been working on this show.

How long have you been acting and what made you get involved in theatre?

I've been acting since I was little, putting on plays with my sister in our living room, and always loved singing and dancing. I performed in school and church plays throughout grade school and high school. I used to check out cast albums from the library, and felt like my soul came alive whenever I would listen to them. I could picture it all, and would sing along and play all the parts in my car, and would listen to them on repeat until I knew every word. Performing always felt like being a kid at Christmas-- there was just no greater joy or excitement or magic that even came close. I loved theatre because I got to express myself in ways that I couldn't otherwise and it gave me a voice, as well as a community of people to bond and create with. I continued to perform in college, but didn't think about theatre as a major or a career. Then, by a huge stroke of luck, I got my start acting professionally thanks to my college director. She asked if I'd want to be in a show she had written that got picked up by a professional theatre in Tennessee, and I left school to pursue that. I've been performing and making it up as I go ever since.

Describe your experience with LTA so far.

Everyone at LTA has been so warm and welcoming, and I'm so grateful for the opportunity to work with you all. It's been great to have rehearsal spaces on the premises (a rarity for theaters), and in the time of Covid, it's been a blessing to be in a space that can make its own rules and set up protocols that make sense for the community. I've appreciated how diligently LTA has been in ensuring a safe and conscientious work environment.

What advice would you give others who are interested in working in theatre (or, specifically working on musicals)?
Commit to learning. Always be learning. Find a good voice teacher. Then find another one. And another one. Take as many classes as you can afford (acting, dance, vocal performance, audition workshops, etc). Learn from as many people as you can. We all learn differently and teachers teach differently, and it might not click with one teacher, but it will with the next. You never know what piece of the puzzle someone else has to share that could make a difference or give you that "aha!" moment. Work on the areas where you aren't a "10" so you can bring more to the table and be a well-rounded performer. And when you go to class, be okay with being the worst one in the room. No one gets to grow without pain or discomfort. Embrace it. It'll only help you get to where you want to be.

And be patient. Trust the process. Trust that what's meant for you won't pass you by. Show up and let go of the outcome. You won't always get the part you want, you might not even get cast, but if you're committed to making every audition a learning experience, you'll grow and succeed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTA kicks off 2023/2024 season with Freaky Friday

The Odd Couple (Female Version) - meet cast member Natalie Fox

The Winners of LTA's 46th Annual One-Act Playwriting Competition