Meet Melissa Dunlap (Celia) from LTA's "Blue Stockings"

What do you find appealing about your character and this show?
Celia is passionate about learning. She defies societal expectations about how and what a woman should be. She desires to be educated above all. I really appreciate how each young woman is different and yet they all desire an education.

What have you learned about yourself in playing the role of Celia?
As a cast, the Blue Stockings actors have explored how change happens in a society. We’ve asked ourselves, what does my character think about the issue of women’s education? I’ve become more aware of how fortunate I am to have access to education and greater equality than the women in this show. I am also aware that this access and equality is not yet available to everyone and in this day I have a role to play in continuing the work of those who went before me.

What do you want the audience to experience/take away from this show?
I would love for the audience to hear the many different view points and attitudes people had about women’s education and maybe see how that dynamic is still in play today. How does change happen in our culture today? Where are we stuck? What holds us back?

How does this show differ from other shows you have worked on?

I’ve never been part of a show that had such a long lead time. I’ve had the role of Celia for over two years! Multiple cast changes, Zoom rehearsals, masked rehearsals and constant temperature taking are all new theater experiences.

How long have you been acting and what made you get involved in theatre? How did you get involved with LTA?
My first role at LTA was in 2013 (?) as Daria in Game’s Afoot. Since then I’ve been fortunate to be in or help out with at least one show a year. I love being a part of creating art with others and the LTA community is wonderful to work with.

What advice would you give others who are interested in working in theatre?

Jump in! Audition, take a class, volunteer to help in an area that interests you. There are all sorts of opportunities and it takes everyone working together. A great way to meet people is to start with Front of House (ushers and box office).



Popular posts from this blog

LTA kicks off 2023/2024 season with Freaky Friday

The Odd Couple (Female Version) - meet cast member Natalie Fox

The Winners of LTA's 46th Annual One-Act Playwriting Competition