Meet Hilary Adams (Assistant Director and "Minnie") from LTA's "Blue Stockings"

What do you find appealing about your character?
Minnie is a warm, jovial presence in the Girton residence, and I had so much fun developing her personality and charm. The Lady in the Tea Parlor, though she only has two lines, is quite a striking contrast to the forward-thinking Girtonites, and actually reminds me a lot of women who, even today, can’t seem to experience any measure of success without pulling up the ladder behind them. She was a fascinating character study.

What do you want the audience to experience/take away from this show?
Blue Stockings is a show about social change, and how difficult but ultimately worthwhile it is to work for. As women’s reproductive rights are once again under siege in the United States, this play stands as a reminder that we must never take our rights and privileges for granted, because there will always be regressive actors trying to take them away.

How does this show differ from other shows you have worked on?
I’ve worked on period pieces before, but never one set in the Victorian era. Deportment is so crucial to capturing the look and feel of the time, and I’ve never been so aware of my posture while on stage!

How long have you been acting and what made you get involved in theatre? How did you get involved with LTA?
I’ve been acting for almost 23 years. I started out at theater summer camps and then actively sought opportunities to get involved in school productions. I didn’t actually start working in community theater until after I graduated from college, but my first community theater experience was with LTA. I played Eunice in A Streetcar Named Desire.

What advice would you give others who are interested in working in theatre?
There is so much more to theater than just acting! Collaborating offstage can be just as fun and fulfilling as performing onstage. Some of the most fun I’ve had working at LTA has been working on production teams and running crews.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTA kicks off 2023/2024 season with Freaky Friday

The Odd Couple (Female Version) - meet cast member Natalie Fox

The Winners of LTA's 46th Annual One-Act Playwriting Competition