To Kill a Mockingbird - meet cast member Bill Brekke



Meet Bill Brekke who is in the ensemble in LTA's To Kill a Mockingbird.

Tell us a little bit about your character.
I am a member of the mob and also the court clerk.  I am also helping as an accent coach

What single word would you use to describe him/her?
Angry for one and attentive for the other.

What were some of the challenges for you in working on this piece?
They are pretty easy roles, but there are no small parts, only small actors. The southern accent was easy for me.  As the accent coach, trying to identify and bring in authenticity without suggesting things that would create a distraction from the actor's feeling the role and without introducing sounds the audience would not clearly understand.

What do you hope the audience experiences/takes away from this show?
I heard one time that in Shakespeare's day many people wanted to hang actors because they thought they were possessed by spirits. That's the felling I want for them.

How does this show differ from other shows you’ve worked on?
I've worked on similar shows and I get the same feeling from this one... good.

How long have you been acting and what made you get involved in theatre?
About 12 years. I was in Toastmasters to help with a job I had, and when that job ended, after a while, I decided to use my bravery in getting up in front of people for some more artistic recreation.

How did you get involved with LTA?
I saw this show was coming up and auditioned for it.  It is a long drive for me but the show and LTA's reputation attracted me

What advice would you give others who are interested in working in theatre?
Start out auditioning at theatres that will cast you even if they are not the most heavily awarded and well heeled and work your way up. That will take some false starts and research, of course.  A professional actor friend told me that acting in a play is better than any class.  I would take one good scene study class and one auditioning class, or at least have a long conversation about auditioning with a knowledgeable person.  Also, read books about acting, such as "How to Stop Acting and Audition."

What have you learned about yourself in playing this role?
I still love great theatre.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTA kicks off 2023/2024 season with Freaky Friday

The Odd Couple (Female Version) - meet cast member Natalie Fox

The Winners of LTA's 46th Annual One-Act Playwriting Competition