To Kill a Mocking - meet cast member Nycole Bell



Meet Nycole Bell who is playing Helen Robinson in LTA's To Kill a Mockingbird.

Tell me a little bit about your character.
Helen Robinson is the devoted mother of three and wife to Tom Robinson doing her best to care for the family while her husband stands trial. 

What single word would you use to describe him/her?
Trainwreck.

What were some of the challenges for you in working on this piece?
Breaking in and out of character was a challenge. Helen's character and story resonated so heavily with me that in some rehearsals I fought back tears. 

What do you hope the audience experiences/takes away from this show?
I'd like the audience to remember that racism and classism are real and still exist even today.  The difference today is based on subtlety. 

How does this show differ from other shows you’ve worked on?
This is my first! I'll get back to you on my second show.

How long have you been acting and what made you get involved in theatre? How did you get involved with LTA?
I've been involved in theatre since high school but didn't seriously pursue a career in it until I graduated college. I took an acting class in Realism last Fall with Mike Baker (who is phenomenal by the way). He enlightened me about the audition process. Later on, a chance encounter with another friend informed me about the To Kill a Mockingbird casting and here I am! 

What advice would you give others who are interested in working in theatre?
Go for it. TODAY. Don't think about it. Don't plan for it. Live a life full of "oh wells" rather than "shoulda, coulda, wouldas. "

What have you learned about yourself in playing this role?
I've learned that our struggles (Helen and I) are not too different from one another. Being Helen has helped me appreciate being a woman and more specifically a woman of color and the unique struggles battled -- and won, if not now, soon. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTA kicks off 2023/2024 season with Freaky Friday

The Odd Couple (Female Version) - meet cast member Natalie Fox