A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder- meet cast member Alexandra Chace!


What do you find appealing about your character and this show? I think Phoebe has the opportunity to display multiple levels of her character if you truly take the time to unwrap her persona. Looking at her from a distance, you find she has been raised in a position of distinction and class, along with the other members of the D’Ysquith family. As can be expected, her upbringing has kept her greatly sheltered and isolated, free for others to make whatever assumptions and conclusions they wish about her. Underneath it all, she is a woman of intelligence and poise, with a yearning desire for a romance that thrills her, both from an intellectual and emotional standpoint. Perhaps a certain Monty Navarro has these qualities?  

What have you learned about yourself in playing the role of Phoebe? From an emotional point of view, I have learned how much I share Phoebe’s desire to define herself. I grew up in a small town in Upstate New York, on the outskirts of Ithaca, NY. I was shy and not very outspoken, and I quickly learned how much an image could be drawn about someone. I grew a lot from those experiences, and am now quite willing to speak my mind. Given Phoebe’s somewhat choppy character arc, I am able to include some of my own experiences to fill some of these blanks. I am so impressed by how much confidence she gains by Act II. Phoebe teaches me that this confidence should never be a task, but something quite in my grasp if I am willing to accept it. 

What do you want the audience to experience/take away from this show? I hope the audience enjoys the sheer wit of this show and is able to see the utter joy we have performing it for them, and selfishly, for each other. I hope the twisting storyline keeps minds reeling, never sure what will come next. Most of all, I hope you laugh until your belly hurts.

How does this show differ from other shows you have worked on? Though I grew up doing musical theatre, the last four years of my life almost solely centered around opera and classical music. This show marries my love for MT and opera in a way which challenges me at every turn, keeps me consistently musically and dramatically motivated, and is just pure joy to perform. In my opinion, there is not a single dull moment in this show, and it is so difficult for me not to fly into the theatre and watch my colleagues from the back.   

How long have you been acting and what made you get involved in theatre? How did you get involved with LTA? I have been performing since I was an itty bitty. As a little girl, I not only loved the glitz and glam of theatre, but I always left with an immediate desire to perform as soon as I got back home. Every chance I could get I was on a stage. In many instances, I found myself most comfortable there. Once I started, I couldn’t stop. I found out LTA was doing this show online, and when I saw the audition notice and watched some of the incredible videos online from the original Broadway cast, I knew I had to be a part. Upon meeting my incredible cast and crew at callbacks, I wanted nothing more to share this journey with them.

What advice would you give others who are interested in working in theatre? No matter who you are or where you come from, the theatre welcomes you. Sometimes, even if you try to talk yourself out of it, the call to the theatre, whether through performance or behind-the-scenes work, becomes a need. Follow it. Follow that fear. As a performer, I strive for progress, not perfection. Be patient with others, and most of all, yourself. You are your greatest critic.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTA kicks off 2023/2024 season with Freaky Friday

The Odd Couple (Female Version) - meet cast member Natalie Fox

The Winners of LTA's 46th Annual One-Act Playwriting Competition