A Christmas Carol-- meet cast member Donna Lovelace!



What do you find appealing about your character and this show?  A Christmas Carol is a perennial   It’s a timely reminder of what might happen when more importance is placed on the quest for power and material wealth instead of family, friends, and others less fortunate.  I play the part of Mrs. Dilber, the laundress in the Ghost of Christmas Future scene. My character despises Scrooge and has no respect for him even death. She steals Scrooge’s bed curtains, blanket, and burial shirt right from under him and pawns them for a profit. She feels justified in her actions to take care of herself since Scrooge always took care of himself when he was alive, without regards to anyone else. I also have a supporting role as part of the ensemble in the Fezziwig party scene.
favorite that’s become a tradition for many theatregoers during the holiday season.

What have you learned about yourself in playing the role of Mrs. Dilber?  I’ve tried not to be too judgmental with my character. Whilst her attitude and actions are harsh and uncaring, I have to look past that in order to portray the character with authenticity.

What do you want the audience to experience/take away from this show?  I hope this production leaves the audience feeling enthralled and uplifted on this journey of transformation and redemption. This story is a reminder of what really matters: being kind, compassionate, and more tolerant of others. How you treat others impacts you as much as it does everyone else. 

How does this show differ from other shows you have worked on? This is the first show I’ve performed in since high school, which was 30 years ago. 

How long have you been acting and what made you get involved in theatre?  I’ve always had a love for theatre. I was born in Hammersmith, west London and remember my mum taking me to see pantomimes during the Christmas season. In high school, I was in the drama club. We would take trips to the Globe Theatre and the West End of London to see shows such as Hamlet, Macbeth, Les Misérables, and The Phantom of the Opera.

How did you get involved with LTA?  Now that I’m retired after 22 years in the Air Force, I was hoping to rekindle my passion for acting and being on stage. I took Acting 101 – Realism with Mike Baker this past summer at LTA. Mike encouraged us to get ourselves out there and audition for shows. I almost didn't audition for A Christmas Carol because part of the audition was to sing 16 bars of a Christmas carol/song. I’m not a singer so I was a bit apprehensive. Thankfully, Shelagh Roberts, the Director and Linda Wells, the Music Director saw my potential!

What advice would you give others who are interested in working in theatre? Take an acting class and/or volunteer with your local community theatre. You never know what you’re capable of doing. Don’t let nerves or anxiety get the best of you. If I had, I wouldn’t be in this show right now.



Comments

  1. I know that actress,! She's very focused. She can do whatever she sets her mind on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTA kicks off 2023/2024 season with Freaky Friday

The Odd Couple (Female Version) - meet cast member Natalie Fox