August: Osage County-- Meet director Susan Devine!

Tell us a little bit about yourself. For more than twenty years I have been directing. I am the founding director of both a children’s theatre and the Providence Players of Fairfax. Other theatrical roles I have performed include set design, set decoration, and costuming. I have the honor of having been nominated for a WATCH award for directing three times and won for Chicago at The Little Theatre of Alexandria.

How does the show differ from other shows you have worked on? August: Osage County deals with very serious problems that can destroy a family, including addiction and infidelity.  The show is very emotional and intense, much more dramatic than other shows I have directed.

What made you get involved in theatre? How did you get involved with LTA? I’ve been involved with theatre since I was in my first play when I was ten years old.  I took theatre classes and worked on plays all through school and then at various theatres over the years.

What advice would you give others who are interested in working in theatre? First, go see some shows and find out what you like – musicals, comedies, classical, avant-guard.  There are so many different styles of shows and one of them will intrigue you.  Then, volunteer.  You can help ushering, with props, in the box office and in other roles that don’t require much or any theatre experience.  Then, you meet people and learn and the next thing you know, you’re a star.

What do you want the audience to experience/take away from this show? As with any show, I want the time to fly by with the audience leaving fully entertained.  However, August: Osage County is really emotionally shocking and I want audiences to leave a bit stunned by what they witness the family go through.

Why did you decide to direct August: Osage County? I am always in search of the best material and August: Osage County is both a Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award winning show, so it’s definitely superb material.  And, it’s relatable.  It focuses on the modern American family.  Tracy Letts set out to write the next great American family drama and he succeeded.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTA kicks off 2023/2024 season with Freaky Friday

The Odd Couple (Female Version) - meet cast member Natalie Fox

The Winners of LTA's 46th Annual One-Act Playwriting Competition