Dirty Blonde - meet Makeup Designer Larissa Norris

What do you find appealing about Dirty Blonde?
I love shows where I have to do research about a time period.  Once challenge in this show is that it spans over 70 years, so we couldn't just do an old age makeup or a specific time period.  But the other challenge, of course, is learning how to have the lead actress look like Mae.

How does this show differ from other shows you have worked on?
The is the first time that I've had a specific person that we've had to imitate or try to replicate their look.

What surprised you about Mae West?
I will say that I didn't know that much about her before doing my research for this show.  Mostly just knew the famous "come up sometime and see me" line.  But she was so bold and a real trailblazer for women.  She set the bar as to what is sexy, what is acceptable or not.  She was smart, funny, and bawdy.  I really am looking forward to continuing my Mae education.

Jo and Charlie are fans of Mae West.  What are you a fan of?
I've always loved Marilyn Monroe, who Mae couldn't stand because she thought she was ripping off Mae's style.  Too funny!  I also love Bette Midler, who's often been likened to a modern day Mae.  So clearly, my interests have been influenced by Mae and I never even realized it!

What made you get involved with theater?  How did you get involved with LTA?
I've been involved in theatre for as long as I can remember.  I saw my first show, Cats, when I was 3 years old and fell in love.  I have been involved in the theatre scene in this area for almost 8 years, but was only an LTA audience member until recently.  Just in networking and collaborating with folks over the years, you start getting asked to work with various companies, which is great.  One of the producers of "A Streetcar Named Desire" brought me in for the hair and makeup design and I ended up getting nominated for a WATCH award for the hair design.  It was a lovely surprise!  This is my second show with LTA and I've always found it to be a great environment to work in.  The people are wonderful.

What advice would you give others who are interested in working in theater?
Start getting out there.  Even if you don't know what you can contribute, volunteer to usher or help paint the set.  We always need extra hands and are grateful for the help.  Then you start learning more about all the various jobs that are necessary to put on a show.  And you can learn from great, talented people!

Tickets and info: www.thelittletheatre.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTA kicks off 2023/2024 season with Freaky Friday

The Odd Couple (Female Version) - meet cast member Natalie Fox

The Winners of LTA's 46th Annual One-Act Playwriting Competition