Interview with Sam Jones - Cast Member in Sweeney Todd

You may recall seeing Sam Jones on stage last summer as Link in LTA's Hairspray.  He is now joining the cast of LTA's Sweeney Todd: The Demon Baber of Fleet Street, this summer!


Sam Jones in Sweeney Todd

What do you want the audience to experience from Sweeney Todd?

I want the audience to both be scared and to laugh.  There are parts of the show that are very dark, in a truly frightening way, and the cast has worked really hard to be as terrifying as possible.  However, this horror story is also a black comedy.  It is a funny, funny show.  I have very fond memories of watching this show and the movie version and laughing until I couldn't breathe, while Sweeney is killing his customers.  I would love for the audience to have the same experience.

How does this show differ from other shows you have worked on?

This show probably has the hardest music of any show I've done.  How Sweeney differs from last summer's Hairspray is that Sondheim really does not care what your voice part is; I am a tenor singing baritone and believe you me, the notes are high enough.  We were blessed with a very musically gifted cast, all who can sing the 2 to 3 octave ranges that happen in nearly every song.

How long have you been acting and what made you get involved in theatre? How did you get involved with LTA?

I was actually talked into auditioning for my first show by Zack Frank (Pirelli) and got a pretty sizable role.  I got the bug.  I kept doing shows at school and started taking voice lessons and realized it was something I was good at.  I had always love seeing shows at LTA and I was cast as Link last year in Hairspray.  I knew I had to come back this summer, and I am so glad that I did.

What advice would you give others who are interested in working in theatre?

Pick a good audition song, smile, and really know your character.  I'm an entering freshman at Christopher Newport University, where I will be studying Musical Theatre and Dance.  I'm sure that I will learn many more tips in my four years there!


Sam Jones in LTA's Hairspray (2012)

Sam Jones (Ensemble in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Baber of Fleet Street) is thrilled to be back at LTA!  Last summer he was seen as teen heartthrob Link Larkin in LTA's Hairspray.  Since then he has been in several shows including The Laramie Project and starring as Bobby Child in Crazy for You.  Other notable roles include Amos Hart in Chicago and Roger Davis in Rent.  Starting this fall, Sam will be studying musical theater and dance at Christopher Newport University.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTA kicks off 2023/2024 season with Freaky Friday

The Odd Couple (Female Version) - meet cast member Natalie Fox

The Winners of LTA's 46th Annual One-Act Playwriting Competition