Meet Patricia Smith (Mrs. Hamilton) from LTA's "Design for Murder"


What do you find appealing about your character and this show?
I think this is the first time I have played a truly unhappy person. Mrs. Hamilton seems to have drawn the short straw in life, and I empathize. I love the 1930s setting of the show, and the variety of characters.

What have you learned about yourself in playing the role of “Mrs. Hamilton”?
I have learned to draw on some dark aspects of my past. I have worked hard to understand why Mrs. Hamilton behaves the way she does.

What do you want the audience to experience/take away from this show?
I want them to be mystified and entertained. I want them to lose their worries for an evening!

How does this show differ from other shows you have worked on?
While I have been in many mysteries over the years, most of them have been Agatha Christie. This has a very different feel. I enjoy the 1930 setting. When I read it for the first time it certainly kept me guessing.

How long have you been acting and what made you get involved in theatre? How did you get involved with LTA?
I have loved the stage since my college years! I gave it up while raising my family, but once I returned in 1983 there was no turning back! LTA was always a goal, and I was happy to be cast in 2003 in The Music Man! After living in CT for about 10 years, upon returning to VA I was happy to be welcomed back for The Game’s Afoot

What advice would you give others who are interested in working in theatre?
There are so many opportunities! Audition! Again and again! Work backstage. We would be nowhere without the extensive crew that supports each show. There are no people like show people. You will have a wonderful time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTA kicks off 2023/2024 season with Freaky Friday

The Odd Couple (Female Version) - meet cast member Natalie Fox

The Winners of LTA's 46th Annual One-Act Playwriting Competition