Meet Kathy Ohlhaber (Celia) from LTA's "Design for Murder"

 


What do you find appealing about your character and this show?
I love a good “October” show that has murder, mystery and stormy nights. I seek out challenges as an actor and Celia is a challenging character. She is quite complex, and I had to work hard to find a good balance between her unlikable characteristics and her redeeming qualities.

What have you learned about yourself in playing this role?
Something I’ve always held true has been re-affirmed; it’s important to bring a piece of yourself to each character you play. Perhaps it’s your humor, your confidence or just a little quirkiness. I go “all in” with each character and they usually end up being very bold or intense. That approach reflects my all or nothing nature and my friends and family always see a hint of Kathy in each character. With Celia, I’ve learned that being bold isn’t a bad thing!

What do you want the audience to experience/take away from this show?
Although this is a “murder-mystery, who-dun-it” type of play, there are a range of emotions that the characters experience. Each character has their own backstory and their own fears and desires. I hope the audience truly cares for these characters and stays with them every step of the way as the story unfolds.

How does this show differ from other shows you have worked on?
I haven’t done too many period pieces, so I had to learn how to embody an aristocratic woman from the early 1930s. I also had to be careful about any type of modernized ad-libbing. It was something new and different!

How long have you been acting and what made you get involved in theatre? How did you get involved with LTA?
I’ve been involved in community theater for about 20 years; it is my absolute passion. This is my third show with LTA and my first leading role on the LTA stage, which I’m beyond thrilled about. I’m proud of all the work I’ve done over the years, and the other lead roles I’ve had, but this show in particular feels like a personal milestone in my acting career.

What advice would you give others who are interested in working in theatre?
If you’re an actor, don’t give up. I first auditioned for LTA in 2012 and it took a while before I was finally cast in Haunting of Hill House in 2019. The competition in this area is fierce and you probably won’t get every role you audition for. But just keep going!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTA kicks off 2023/2024 season with Freaky Friday

The Odd Couple (Female Version) - meet cast member Natalie Fox

The Winners of LTA's 46th Annual One-Act Playwriting Competition