The Tale of the Allergist's Wife - meet co-producer Jay Cohen

Jay Cohen is very pleased to be producing another great play at LTA and to be working with such a talented team. Jay previously produced The Rocky Horror Show, The 39 Steps, Run for Your Wife and The Teahouse of the August Moon, all at LTA. When not at LTA, Jay serves on the board of directors for other nonprofits.

Why did you decide to produce The Tale of the Allergist's Wife?
I had seen the show in Florida where my mother played Frieda and I thought it was hysterical.  When I heard that LTA was doing it, I had to do it myself.  Also, the fact that Michael Kharfen was directing didn't hurt, as I wanted to work with him.

What are you trying to accomplish with the telling of this play?
I think it is a great play about life challenges.  You have Majorie who is going through a midlife crisis and is feeling rather small, as we all do from time to time.  You also have Lee who is a free spirit that we all wish to be.  And then you have Frieda, who is how we all eventually wind up!  I think from these three characters, all of us can identify with them.

What were the challenges as a producer?
Getting non-jewish people to say Yiddish words!

What should the audience take away from this play?
<In a heavy New York Jewish accent> Well Jews are people too!  What do you want me to say?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTA kicks off 2023/2024 season with Freaky Friday

The Odd Couple (Female Version) - meet cast member Natalie Fox

The Winners of LTA's 46th Annual One-Act Playwriting Competition