Wait Until Dark: Meet Adam Adkins

 

 

What do you find appealing about your character and this show?
Roat isn’t exactly an appealing character, but in a way, that’s what makes him interesting to play. I try hard to be a decent person in my day to day life, as hopefully we all do. However, I’ve always had a love of the villain. Getting an audience to hate me, to boo my victories and cheer my losses, is an incredibly fun vacation from being a decent human being. Villains allow you to think and feel the darker sides of ourselves that hopefully give us an insight to our personalities on a deeper level, even if it's as simple as exploring behaviors to show yourself exactly why you don't want to put those actions into the world.
 

What have you learned about yourself in playing the role of “Roat”?
While Roat isn’t a likeable guy, and you would hope that very little of him shows in your daily personality, the thing about him that I’m taking away from him is his confidence and sense of control. No matter the situation, he owns it. Life is full of power dynamics in our jobs, in our families and in our relationships. And Roat is fully aware that in any given moment, he has the ability to own the room.

What do you want the audience to experience/take away from this show?
 I just hope the audience enjoys themselves. Root for the heroes, hate the villains, and let us take you on this fun journey for the evening.

How does this show differ from other shows you have worked on?
I’ve done several suspense/horror shows before, having been a company member with Molotov Theatre Group years ago. However, the last several I’ve done have been comedies. Comedies are great because you get real-time feedback through laughter. With dramas and thrillers, you have to have a stronger trust in the production to know that what you’re presenting is keeping the audience engaged.

How long have you been acting and how did you get involved with LTA?
I’ve been acting in professional and semi-professional theater for nearly 20 years now. I got involved with LTA by auditioning for this very show, Wait Until Dark. But I was lucky enough to see March’s production of The Revolutionists and was impressed not only by the quality of the show and the talent on stage, but on the professional feel of the theater itself. I was happy to audition once I saw they were doing a show I could really sink my teeth into.

What advice would you give others who are interested in working in theatre?
 My advice is simple: Do it! I understand it may be intimidating, but everyone at LTA has been incredibly welcoming. If you want to cut your teeth a bit before auditioning for a main stage show, take a class. If you’re an introvert, volunteer for the box office or help us backstage! No matter what your interest in theater is or at whatever level, there’s many opportunities with LTA and dozens of other theaters in the DC Metro area. If it’s been your passion for years or one you’re just starting to discover, I hope to work with you soon!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTA kicks off 2023/2024 season with Freaky Friday

The Odd Couple (Female Version) - meet cast member Natalie Fox

The Winners of LTA's 46th Annual One-Act Playwriting Competition