Rumors- meet director Matthew Randall!

Tell us a little about yourself. What are you doing on Rumors? I’m the director of this production. I’ve been acting and directing in the area for over 20 years. I’m currently president of Dominion Stage in Arlington.

What is it like being back in the theater after the long Covid-19 hiatus? Did you do any theater during the Covid-19 shutdown? Dominion Stage produced some excellent online content during the quarantine, including a filmed production, a staged reading of a previously-produced piece, and readings of our playwright contest winning entries, but I did not perform during the quarantine. Returning to the theatre, and working closely with a cast again, was both wonderful and exhausting after such a long hiatus. It took awhile to find my footing and rhythm again. We started on Zoom, then moved to in-person rehearsals about 3 weeks into the process.

How does this show differ from other shows you have worked on? Because of the quarantine, I decided to cast actors who were married or in relationships, and already in each other’s bubbles. This meant pre-casting, which I’ve never done, and am not a fan of. However the connections the real-life couples share is evident onstage, and I think the show is stronger because of it. It was a decision due to necessity, but one that paid off. Bonus: couples can run lines together at home.

What made you get involved in theatre? How did you get involved with LTA? I’ve been doing theatre since 6th grade in Northern California. I attended College of Marin’s renowned theatre department during its golden era in the 80s, where we did everything including the 8-hour production of Nicholas Nickleby. When I moved to Northern Virginia, my first show was The Heiress at LTA, starting off a journey around NoVa with many companies and productions, and roles both onstage and off, including board positions.

What do you want the audience to experience/take away from this show? I want them to once again experience the delight of laughing together as part of a live audience. I want them to remember why they loved attending theatre before the world broke, and to keep coming back, letting theatre do what it does best -- bring people together, perhaps even as a means of healing from our shared trauma. I know this production has helped me tremendously to re-engage and to find joy, and I will be forever grateful to my cast and to LTA for that.

What advice would you give others who are interested in working in theatre? Community theatre will welcome you with open arms. Whether as a performer, crew member, or volunteer, every show is a family, and yours is waiting for you. Don’t think you have any skills? Someone will show you what to do, like someone showed us once. You’ll very quickly find your niche, and a new circle of friends.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTA kicks off 2023/2024 season with Freaky Friday

The Odd Couple (Female Version) - meet cast member Natalie Fox

The Winners of LTA's 46th Annual One-Act Playwriting Competition