Meet Madeline Byrd (Tess) from LTA's "Blue Stockings"

What do you find appealing about your character and this show?

Tess is an appealing character because of her bold curiosity and openness to discovery, although that sometimes works against her. She throws herself into her work and her life with passion. This show is appealing because of its timeliness and relevance even now.

 

What have you learned about yourself in playing the role of “Tess”?

I’ve learned that a lot can happen in the span of two and a half hours! One year in the life at Girton is played out on stage - and from start to finish, Tess moves through the high highs and low lows of life. It’s been a delight to bike/kick/split and more on stage to bring this story to life. I am lucky to have had varsity sports and  cheerleading experience in high school and college to prepare me for the physical nature of the role.

 

What do you want the audience to experience/take away from this show?

I hope that the audience takes away the immense importance of rights for women. Even now, over 100 years after the events in “Blue Stockings”, women are still fighting for some of our most fundamental rights. The Girton girls bravely fought for their right to graduate, and we must continue to fight for the rights of all women. We must make use of our voices - and our votes - to ensure that we are heard.

 

How does this show differ from other shows you have worked on?

This has been the longest running show I have ever worked on. I was initially cast in February of 2020 (the before times!) and when our rehearsals were shut down, I thought I might not ever be able to play Tess. When we found out we were back on the schedule, I was thrilled, but also excited to see how the events of the past two years have impacted and changed my portrayal of Tess.

 

How long have you been acting and what made you get involved in theatre? How did you get involved with LTA?

I started acting all the way back in pre-school (shoutout to Aldersgate & St. Luke’s!). From that early age I knew that there was something about putting on a show and taking on a character that I was extremely drawn to. I continued performing throughout elementary school class plays, middle school and high school productions, and received my BA in theatre from William & Mary. The summer after graduating I was cast in “A Streetcar Named Desire” at LTA, which was an amazing introduction to LTA. I went on to work at other local theaters, in addition to branching out into television and film work. Some of my favorite television shows to work on have been “NASCAR: The Rise of American Speed” on CMT, “American Genius” on NatGeo Channel, “The American West” on AMC, “House of Cards” on Netflix, “Mercy Street” (about Civil War Alexandria) on PBS, and “Southern Fried Homicide” on ID Network. After being away from LTA for a few years while working elsewhere, it has been so wonderful to return to the LTA stage.

 

What advice would you give others who are interested in working in theatre?

Just jump in wherever you can. Even if you aren’t actively performing on stage - take classes, audition, work behind the scenes, get involved in any and every way you can. The time you spend observing and learning will reflect in your abilities once you find yourself where you want to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTA kicks off 2023/2024 season with Freaky Friday

The Odd Couple (Female Version) - meet cast member Natalie Fox

The Winners of LTA's 46th Annual One-Act Playwriting Competition