The Revolutionists- meet cast member Sophia de Waal!

What made you want to be a part of  this show? Over the past couple years I have really gotten into reading modern works written by women. Some of my favorites playwrights are Sarah Ruhl and Annie Baker. When I researched and read the play, I was excited about the possibility of performing in a spunky feminist play written by a woman.

Doing a play during the Pandemic is challenging. How has this experience been different than other shows you have worked on? I think the biggest difference doing a play in the middle of a pandemic is that for our first month of rehearsals everything has been done virtually. It is strange to be working with people that I have yet to meet in real life.

Have you done any other theater during the Pandemic? During the pandemic I unfortunately have not been able to do any work on the stage. My focus has shifted more to behind the scenes, including directing a one act play for Bishop Ireton’s Obstacles. I am currently designing costumes for Bishop Ireton’s virtual production of Much Ado About Nothing.

What do you want the audience to walk away thinking about after the show? After the show I want the audience to walk away thinking about these four women. Lauren Gunderson created four incredible characters, based in history, who all made a large impact on the world. These are very different women who lived extremely different lives, but what they share is their bravery. They demonstrate how powerful and informative it can be when you actually listen to one another, which is a very important lesson to learn especially in the world we live in today.

What surprised you about the real characters depicted in The Revolutionists? One of the things that surprised me about Marie Antionette is how the many myths that were created during the French Revolution contributed to her legacy today. The news spread so much false information that painted Marie as a villain and really made the public hate her. When in fact, Marie Antionette did not say her infamous line, “let them eat cake,” but another French queen, Maria Theresa of Spain, said, “let them eat brioche,” years before Marie was even born.

What made you get involved in theater?  How did you get involved with LTA? LTA was what initially got me involved with theatre. My first experience with theatre was taking an acting class at LTA when I was in fourth grade with Kathy Dillaber. Over the years I took many classes with Heather Sanderson and Ashley Hammond. LTA really helped blossom my love of theatre. For the past two years, I have worked with Heather Sanderson as an LTA Student Ambassador. I have also worked as an assistant teacher for LTA camps and children’s classes.

What advice would you give others who are interested in working in theater? For people who are interested in working in theatre, I would say just go for it. Theatre is such a welcoming community, and is all about creating exciting art. I have never once regretted auditioning for a show, even when I didn’t get cast.

Sophia will be playing Marie Antoinette in LTA’s The Revolutionists February 27-March 20. Tickets will be available soon, check the website for updates!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTA kicks off 2023/2024 season with Freaky Friday

The Odd Couple (Female Version) - meet cast member Natalie Fox

The Winners of LTA's 46th Annual One-Act Playwriting Competition