The Revolutionists-meet cast member Justine Summers!

What made you want to be a part of  this show? I love Lauren Gunderson and I was excited to do an all-woman show, so the Revolutionists was the perfect match. Add to that the show is hilarious and the characters are complex and interesting, and I was sold.

Doing a play during the Pandemic is challenging. How has this experience been different than other shows you have worked on? This experience has been very different, so far. For me, a huge part of participating in theatre is the interpersonal interaction, reacting to people onstage. So this has been a challenge, but I think one that we’ve met with gusto!

Have you done any other theater during the Pandemic? I’ve done a couple “staged” Zoom readings and a couple fundraising cabarets, yes.

What do you want the audience to walk away thinking about after the show? I hope the audience walks away with a different perspective on the French Revolution and how our stories are told. I know, for me, I see a lot of parallels between 1793 and 2020 (and January 2021).

What surprised you about the real characters depicted in The Revolutionists? Obviously Marie Antoinette is some relatively well-trod material, but I knew very little about Charlotte Corday and nothing at all about Olympe De Gouges before doing this show. I knew of Marat (thanks mostly to one well-known painting) but little of his assassin. I’ve really enjoyed learning how nuanced these women’s positions were. Especially with Olympe, I was so fascinated by everything she accomplished as a single woman in the 18th century.

What made you get involved in theater?  How did you get involved with LTA? I’ve been doing theatre since I was twelve and have always loved it. As a kid I was really introverted, and theatre was a great way to explore expressing my feelings. Theatre has always been a huge part of my life; I even met my husband onstage. I’ve been envying friends who were lucky enough to work with LTA for years; I’ve  worked as an usher and front of house and attended shows to support those same friends. I’m so excited to finally join the club.

What advice would you give others who are interested in working in theater? Jump in! Don’t let that little voice in your head that says you’re not good enough stop you from trying. You may not get the part, but you definitely won’t get it if you don’t audition. And you never know—getting even a small role or an ensemble role might turn into the most fun you’ve had in a long time.

 

 

Justine will be playing Olympe in LTA's production of The Revolutionists. This irreverent comedy will be on stage February 27-March 20, 2021. Ticket sales will open up soon, check the website for updates!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTA kicks off 2023/2024 season with Freaky Friday

The Odd Couple (Female Version) - meet cast member Natalie Fox

The Winners of LTA's 46th Annual One-Act Playwriting Competition